We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
The trees that horses cannot eat is very surprising. My horses are around a ton of these trees, they have free range to about 27 acres. One nice thing is they don’t seem interested in these trees only the apple trees. Now the blackberries that’s a whole different subject. Growing up we had this Old Foundation Applissoa that had white lips. She would go in the corner of the pasture and pick one blackberry at a time and eat them. When she was done it looked like she put on lipstick. When it first happened we were stumped. Then we caught her in the act when we went out to pick some for jam.
Now back to the trees, here is a list of the trees that are harmful to your horses. It will have the name, how toxic it is, where it is found, what part of the tree is harmful, and what symptoms it causes.
- The Avocado tree is found in Southern US
- It is moderately Toxic
- The fruit itself, seeds, and leaves are harmful
- It will cause diarrhea, colic, edema, noninfectious mastitis in lactating mares.
- The Oak tree is found in North America
- It depends how much is ingested on the toxicity level
- The acorns, new leaves, and bark are harmful
- It will cause colic, frequent urination, constipation followed by bloody diarrhea, and kidney failure
- The Black Locust tree is found throughout the US and Southern Canada
- It is moderately toxic
- The bark, seeds, and new starts are harmful
- It will cause appetite loss, diarrhea or constipation, stupor, and laminitis
- The Walnut tree can be found in NorthEastern and Central US
- It is Highly toxic
- The wood shavings are dangerous. For instance, if used for bedding.
- It will cause Edema in the legs, increased temperature, increased respiratory/heart rate, and laminitis
- This tree can be found in the Eastern and Southern US
- It is Moderately toxic
- The Sprouts, leaves, and seeds are dangerous
- It will cause incoordination and muscle tremors
- The Red Maple can be found in the Eastern part of the US
- It has a high toxicity
- The bark leaves and dried leaves are dangerous
- I will cause depression, dark/discolored mucous membranes, brown/red urine, and colic
Choke Cherry/ Wild Black Cherry
- This tree is found throughout the US
- It has a low toxicity
- The new leaves and wilted leaves if ingested in large quantities are dangerous
- It will cause frequent peeing and pooping, gasping, tremors, and convulsions
My horses are around all but the Buckeye tree and black locust. My horses have never been interested in tree bark and leaves. Now an apple tree they bother the fruit but nothing else. If you have a nice pasture for them they tend to stay away from the stuff that is toxic to them.